Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Song Writing

I just had a guitar lesson. My teacher and I were going over some lyrics I wrote, and he made an interesting point. He told me that it's always a more powerful song when the writer talks about something concrete, something tangible, rather than just saying "you did this to me" or "this is how i feel"... I don't know if it makes sense now, but it did when he said it. for example, he liked that my song started with: i know this road like the back of my hand/ but i'm scared if turn, i won't know it again. The "road" is something I'm comfortable with, and he liked the use of that. He also liked one of my verses that said, "i'm comfortable in these shoes/ don't make me change into something new/ the laces are worn, and i want them to stay/ i wouldn't have them any other way" because of the shoes image. That, along with some new chords, is what I got out of my guitar lesson today. Thought I'd share.

-Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment